March 30th, 2020

#FLATTENTHECURVE
#PHYSICALDISTANCING
#DON'TBURSTMYBUBBLE
#CRAZYROOKIES



Here is a new one for you .... the birthday brigade!  I just thought about this the other night when Geoff Keogh mentioned that he was attending a birthday party online via Zoom!  Cool idea!  But it occurred to me that there's entirely too little celebrating going on.  So here's a look at near term birthdays, be sure to send your well wishes!

March 28
          Jim Smith (2nd baseman)
          Lady Gaga (Poker Player)
          Vince Vaughn (Wedding Crasher)
March 29
          Marina Sirtis (Counselor Troy, Star Trek the Next Generation) 
          Lucy Lawless (Warrior Princess)
          Eric Idle (Always look on the bright side of life)
March 30
          Steve Grenkie (2nd baseman)
          Mark Banks (1st, 3rd & jack of all trades)
          Tracy Chapman (Drives a fast car)
April 1
          Debbie Reynolds (Princess Leah's Mom)
          Randy Orton (Wrestler)
          Phil Niekro (300 game winner & former Blue Jay)



In terms a Public Service Announcement; I had a brief conversation with Robin Hawkes this week. Robin does important and stellar work in managing our local Food Bank and has informed me that the food levels are dwindling!  Of particular need are tomato sauce or other pasta sauces as well as fruit in cups and tins.  

There are a lot of people feeling financial hardship at this moment and the Food Bank is a true lifeline.  If you find yourself in the fortunate position of being able to donate, please help out your brothers & sisters and neighbours & friends.  

Robin indicated that the best means for donations are to use the bins at the Tottenham and Beeton Foodlands.  Let's team up and make the ride a little easier for people.  



Now for a story.  Just for fun.  It's not a long story, but it needs a little background.  

So every year at draft, we have a rookie round.  It's the 6th round.  Sometimes you get a guy who's a legit #6.  Sometimes, not so much.  But sometimes you win the lottery.  

This year at draft, the Beer Bros. got rookie Greg Senay.  The Beer Bros. like most teams, didn't form any opinions in advance.  You really have to see someone on the field to know what you're dealing with.  But getting a septuagenarian in the draft didn't lend itself to thinking that any lotteries had been won.  

And that opinion would be wrong.  

Greg was an in instant star.  He played 2nd base flawlessly, turning double plays with Jacks & Piellusch with silky pro level defense.  And the bat?  How's top 25% of the league in At Bats, Hits and Average?  Yep, they won the lottery alright.  

So Greg toughed out 2019 and while we don't keep this stat, I'm confident that he led everyone in the league in playoff triples.  He was completely on fire.  Although, I will continue to blame Al Bales scratch lottery addiction for the Beer Bros. playoff loss in the semi's there are those who point to the badly pulled hamstring suffered by Greg as the reason for the Bros. bowing out.  Maybe.  

After two more triples in that semi Greg came up lame.  He sat out an inning and then gamely tried to come back.  It was so bad that he couldn't even move under an infield fly.  This from a guy who hadn't missed a ball in two months.  After the 5th inning he rode the pine for the remainder of the game.  With 90% of their baseball knowledge on the bench, it was just too much to overcome.  

So flash forward to a couple of weeks ago and I'm reaching out to people to check on their well being.  OF COURSE one of my check in's is Greg Senay.  Greg and his wife, Martha, are one of our snowbird couples and I wanted to make sure that they got back into the country safely and were tended to. 

Now I know that I pretend that stories are real and I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to convince of you that their real, only to reveal their fake at the end. 

This is the real response to my email that I got from Greg.  I've taken the liberty of bolding the parts that I found particularly funny.  God love Martha!!!

***

Thanks very much for your thoughtful message - hope you folks are well.
We did leave early and are now just a few days away from the end of our self isolation and with the assistance of our family are doing well - thank you for your offer of help - much appreciated.

Now for the bad news - had we left a week earlier as Martha was imploring me to do,  I would not be in the predicament I find myself in. We had just entered the 1st round of the playoffs in the winter ball league I play in, so of course being male and only slightly smarter than a circus monkey, I said ' this is critical - I can't leave'.  As it turns out, the very next game we played was the last game played for the league because  the county shut everything down right after that game.

Stop me if this sounds familiar - unfortunately, in that game I sustained a pretty serious injury - had to seek medical aid - which turned into a gong show with the insurance company- had to fly my son down to drive us home  - and am now awaiting further medical help here at home, which will take longer than usual given the present virus situation.

Other than that, life is good and as much as I was looking forward to playing for the ' men in black' again - I am not optimistic that will occur.

As my life long partner describes it - ' dumb ass old men playing a dumb ass game - what did you think was going to happen?

Best regards.


Greg


Comments

Popular Posts