March 20, 2020

#Flattenthecurve
Hey gang.   Please feel free to share this.

I've had no time to write.  Nothing charming or witty at least.  I'm working still and as a designated Provincial Essential Service, I will be continuing to work as long as I'm able.

Many people have stopped working.  Many other's are working from home.  Everyone I know is well entrenched in social distancing protocols.  Over the years, I have not been shy about using this BLOG as a vehicle for political expression & most notably to put pressure on our municipal government.  I won't do that.  Our local government is under tremendous pressure and dealing with an issue that no one fully comprehends, at least at this point.  My belief is that the Provincial government is doing well and the Federal government is doing a fantastic job.  Just my opinion, not starting a debate.

The best part of how this is being managed is that all levels of government, across the country, are working together and supporting each other.  That is the Canadian way.  Period, full stop.


People are scared.  People are worried about themselves, friends and loved ones.  I get it, I am too.

In my view, we need two things.

  • Social contact
  • Good news
So I've got an idea on both.


Social contact

Call, email and txt your friends and family.  Do it often.  If you're not working, there's not a lot else to do.  Check in on not just your "close" friends, but friends once or twice removed from your core.  Try your best.  Make someone smile when they see your name pop up on their phone.

Second, I've been kicking around the idea of a board game exchange program.  If people could inventory what they have, I could put a list together of what's available.  People could leave on their porch in a bag and we could pick up and drop off.  Before we get to that stage I'll need to get some advice from a medical professional (that I trust - no Rob, not you) to make sure that we're safe to do this.

Good news

As I said, I'm time constrained, so I'm asking you to contribute.  Send me an email or a txt message story and I'll share it on the BLOG.  This is a bad situation, but there is good news out there and we should share it.  I'll go first.

****  **** ****


I don't like my job much.  I've done some pretty cool things in my career, but this is not one of them.  I'm currently managing the main print shop for the government of Ontario.   We print a lot of reports, invoices, work orders and cheques.  When I say "a lot", I mean we count the pages in the millions per month.

Specifically, one of the things we do is print cheques for ODSP.  That program stands for Ontario Disability Support Program.  The ODSP program is a supplement for those in need, providing income and employment support.  Specifically, the program helps compensate:

  • Financial assistance to help you and your family with essential living expenses. 
  • Benefits, for you and your family, including prescription drugs and vision care. 
  • Help in finding and keeping a job, and advancing your career.  

For the vast majority of people who utilize this program - their world would stop without this supplement.  It would mean no rent.  Or no food.  Or no utilities paid.  As scared as many of us are, these people are terrified.

So we could stop printing pretty much everything, and the province would survive.  But it's specifically ODSP that makes us an essential service.

Coming into work has inherent risk in these times.  There have been people across the province and country who have walked off of their jobs, citing dangerous work conditions or loose interpretations of government statements.  I can't say that I blame them.  They're entitled.

My staff are largely new Canadians.  Some from Italy, most from South East Asia.  They have immediate family that are in dangerous situations.  I've bought them coffee and pizza and donuts.  Not a big deal, I'm just trying to keep morale up.  But no amount of donuts will stop the worry about your mother in Manilla or your sister in Genoa.  I'm well aware of that.

But my good news story are these government employees.  In a 24 hour shift environment, not one person has missed a shift.  No one has complained.  I ask if there's "anything I can do to help."  All I get back is, "nope we're good."  They've heard of other people walking out and they talk about it.  Of course they do, everyone does.  But someone always says, "ODSP needs us."   And it's always a different guy that says it.

No one except you folks will know this, but these (mostly) entry level, immigrant, print operators are fucking heroes.  They refuse to let other Ontarian's in need be left without resources to sustain their lives.  I started out saying that I don't like my job much.  But I am bursting with pride to work with these guys!

Who's next?

Comments

Popular Posts