March 22, 2020

#FLATTENTHECURVE
#SOCIALDISTANCING

I gather most of you are geeks.  I suppose everyone is in some regard.  Stats geek, horror movie geek, baseball geek, hockey geek, Russian literature geek.  It takes all kinds. 

Outside of baseball, one of my geek-worlds is Harry Potter.  I can't explain it.  I think the author is a whack-job.  I hate middle-earth sort of stuff.  Goblins and centaurs are not my jam.  But pretty much, since June of 1997, I've loved the whole Potter saga.  Truth be told, I don't think I bought the first book when it came out.  I think I caught on when book 3 game out in 1999. 


Regardless, this week has been reminding of Potter.  One scene in particular.  In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (1 book / 2 movies) the trio of heroes are out in the English countryside looking for the last remaining Horcruxes.  Now if that previous sentence makes zero sense to you, I may write a brief tutorial later on.  But for now all you need to know is that everyone is isolated and unable to communicate. 

The only contact that Ron, Hermione and Harry have with the wizarding world is through a radio broadcast.  The pirate radio station was run by a fellow Gryffindor student named Lee Jordan.  He would inform any listeners of other students status, but mostly if they'd been captured by Voldemort.  The radio is kind of background throughout the entire movie / book, until Lee Jordan triumphantly declares that, "Lightning has been spotted!" which told everyone that Potter was still alive. 


Well I've been to checking in with as many people as I can this week and will continue to do so.  It's a little tough texting as my phone doesn't get signal inside the building I work in.  But the update on us is that everyone is still fine.  I'm hopeful for layoffs this week so more of the family will be home safe and sound.  I don't see my job stopping anytime soon, however, people are well spaced and all meetings are by phone or skype.  It's as safe as it can be. 


I wouldn't give away anyone's personal health information of course, but I'm comfortable to say that people are okay.  This week I've spoken with at least one of the following couples who said that all was well with their families:   Geoff & Andy Keogh, Matt & Dana "Frickin" Saunders (sorry Dana), Rob & Sue Farah, Jason and Annette Chiovitti, Tim and Karen Osmond, Al & Joanie Bales, Roman Dasek, Bo & Sharon Niederhuber, Justin & Brandy Cremascoli, Karen & Larry Turner, Jim & Patrice Smith, Art Lord-Stafford, Jens Lepa, Timmy Schrank, Kevin Goulter & Christine Piercey, Dave & Lori Storms, Paul & Theresa Koolhaas, Jason Jack & Stacey Weber, Jason Candy (who gave the all clear on the Candy clan), Paul Piellusch, and Andrew & Michelle Lanoue.

I'll try to connect with more people this week.  You all should too, as much as you can.  Isolation doesn't mean not talking. 

While we're on the topic, I've been off facebook for at least a couple of years.  Mostly because I got tired of right wing conspiracies, and racist, anti-LGBTQ or misogynist behaviors.  I'm sure there's all that shit wrapped up with COVID-19 facebook "news" and jokes that are going on right now.  I'm not interested.  I'm interested in good information.  There's a number of doctors that I follow on Twitter that provide really good info.  There are Youtube channels as well that are meaningful.  Watch and listen to as much as you can to protect yourself and your family. 

Everyone is familiar with the legendary Friday night "Grisslieland" parties at Farah residence.  Well they did a smallish Grissliesland this past Friday and here is what it looked like. 

For the foreseeable future, my friends, this is the way it has to be!  No risks. 


For your reading pleasure and all of our safety, here is the Government of Canada Social Distancing best practices.  (it's only a page - read it):   CLICK ME

Comments

Popular Posts